Friday, May 18, 2012

G for Grapes

EV loves grapes, so I was really looking forward to this session. She knows the letter g quite well, so while she was a bit distracted here and there, so was extremely excited, especially when we did glued some 'grapey' crafts. More on that later in the post.

First, we sang our greeting song to the tune of 'Good Morning' from the movie Singing in the Rain, but we changed the lyrics to:

Good afternoon, good afternoon
It's fun to learn and play
Good afternoon, good afternoon to you.

It sort of got her in the mood, with her big smile and clapping hands. (I hope this means she's beginning to love movie musicals, classics like Singing in the Rain, Sound of Music and Mary Poppins. I admit, I've been singing to her songs from Sound of Music, and I love to think she loves it).

I digressed... back to the topic. So, with her happily anticipating the next activity, we sang 'Greedy Goat', from Julia Gabriel's Alphabet Zoo. Then we traced the letters and pasted our images - grapes, gate, gift, giraffe, goose and guitar. Then we wrote the words for each of the images, as you can see here.



To go through the spelling of 'grapes' with her, I used a set of colourful wooden alphabets. I spread all 26 letters on the table, and got her to search for the letters as I called them out one by one. 

EV then decided to do some numbers from the same wooden set. This time, we each reached into the container and, without looking, took out a number, and said it out loud. A quick impromptu game that I came up with, but it worked really well. Here, it was EV's turn and she picked the number 8.


Then we did a letter craft from Totally Tots. EV traced the letter, with some help from mummy. We didn't use any feathers and missed out the eye (as usual... I really must remember in future), and instead pasted it on a sheet of blue paper as backing, just so it will stand out more when we place it on our wall display.



Math
Next, we did a Guitar Math activity, inspired by No Time For Flashcards. EV pasted the pre-cut guitars, then I got her to draw different numbers of lines on each guitar. So this not only tested her numbers again, but is also good for motor skills (pasting) and handwriting)



Big & Small
A quick review of this concept, using a gorilla printout from Spell Out Loud.


Art
We did finger painting today! And learned about colour mixing again. I had wanted to show EV what happens when blue is mixed with yellow, but she requested for red again. So we mixed purple again, a very dark shade of purple.



Music
We sang 'A Groovy Green Grape', which is sung to the tune of 'If You're Happy and You Know It'. The lyrics are:

Oh, I wish I was a groovy green grape
Oh, I wish I was a groovy green grape
Oh, I think it would be fine
To grow upon a vine
Oh, I wish I was a groovy green grape

Storytime
We have been reading 'Giraffes Can't Dance'. Read my review of it here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for reading and showing love to Toddly Mummy. I appreciate each and every one of your comments.

However, please refrain from posting promotional or rude messages.

Thank you for your understanding!