Friday, May 25, 2012

Review: Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Massage Lotion for Stretch Marks

Let me share my stretch mark journey with you.


When I was expecting EV and on a 'What do we need for the new baby' research/shopping trip with the hubby, one of the items I took the opportunity of hunting down too was a cream or lotion for stretch marks. My tummy was growing day by day, and hey, I'm a lady. And a lady needs to look after herself, even if she's going to be out of shape for a few months. 

Though confusing because there were so many different types of such lotions, I finally decided on the Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Massage Lotion for Stretch Marks. It's an all over body lotion, which is ideal for me as I'm such a lazy person when it comes to skincare. I used it for about six months in total, three months before I popped, and three months after. Every day, I would diligently use it, each time slapping a large quantity over the tummy (oh yes, especially the tummy), bums and thighs. Stretch marks, away you go!


I like to think myself as being lucky, as EV treated me very well when I was carrying her. I gained only 10kg, and stretch marks were not that obvious, or so I hoped. I was secretly wishing that because it was my first pregnancy, the stretch marks would go away more naturally. But who was I kidding? I needed help and the Palmer's Stretch Mark lotion did help in achieving my goal more easily, and definitely extremely conveniently. I thoroughly enjoyed using the lotion, especially its light cocoa butter fragrance, though at first I was rather put off by the smell. Really made me feel pampered after a tired day. 

Fast forward to two years later, and I had just given birth to my second child. While pregnant with AA, I was really concerned with stretch marks. After all, it was my second pregnancy and I have already been 'stretched' before, so I know it would be easier for stretch marks to remain, even if they didn't the first time. 

So, time to get a stretch mark lotion and naturally, I thought of the Palmer's Stretch Mark lotion. I totally loved using it again, love the cocoa butter aroma (it grows on you), love the way it works on me. 


I'm a realistic person, and after two pregnancies, I do not expect completely no stretch marks on a fuller body that now fits mostly into size Ms. My skin was more stretched this time, and the cocoa butter concoction worked beautifully to reduce the marks. It also kept the skin moisturized when it got flaky and minimized the itchiness, thanks to the Shea Butter and Vitamin E ingredients. 


Now, if only the new reformulation was available when I was still carrying AA. Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Massage Lotion for Stretch Marks now comes with the proprietary Bio C-Elaste complex, which combines key stretch mark ingredients. They are:
- Argan Oil, which is rich in essential fatty acids and antioxidants and helps to maintain skin's moisture levels and reduce scarring
- Centella Asiatica, a natural leaf extract known to protect and revitalize collagen and elastin fibres, helping to combat stretch marks
- Sweet Almond Oil, which is rich in vitamins, and works together with Omega-6 and Omega-9 fatty acids to reduce the appearance of marks and scars




There are also Collagen and Elastin to improve skin elasticity and suppleness during and after pregnancy. Even those who gain or lose weight easily and are prone to stretch marks will also find this lightweight, non-greasy lotion extremely useful.


I'm also glad to know that the new formulation is now paraben free, is hypoallergenic and dermatologist tested. Parabens are preservatives that are commonly found in cosmetic and pharmaceutical products, such as shampoos, moisturizers and make up. Their use has been very controversial, as they have been found in breast cancer tumours and can slightly mimic estrogen (a hormone known to play a role in breast cancer development). While no direct links between paragons and cancer has been established, it is really heartening to know that they have taken parabens off the ingredient list. (Read more about parabens here.)


I hate stretch marks. I really really do (who doesn't?). Palmer's Stretch Mark lotion has accompanied me in this journey, and the battle continues. Fighting!!!


PS: Come win for yourself a pair of movie tickets to the comedy 'What To Expect When You Are Expecting'. Click here for the fun details.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for reading and showing love to Toddly Mummy. I appreciate each and every one of your comments.

However, please refrain from posting promotional or rude messages.

Thank you for your understanding!