Wednesday, February 12, 2014

A very special family reunion

I like Chinese New Year. It is a time of reunion, get togethers and catching up with family and relatives, some of whom I only see once a year.

This year's CNY was extra special, a true reunion for my family.

My brother has been living in Australia since 2009, and my little sister has been studying there since 2011. As much as we wanted to, it was not easy to get everyone back together in Singapore; everyone's different schedules meant that everyone came back at different times. It was a challenge, but I'm elated that this year, we overcame that challenge, and brought the whole family together again.

This year, for the first time since 2009, my bro and my sister-in-law came back for CNY, together with my little cute and awesomely adorable nephew. In fact, they were back way before CNY, since November last year.

What was even more meaningful for me was that for the first time since 2009, my two younger siblings and I were together once again.

For the first time since 2009, we went on a family trip together to nearby Malaysia. Not an extravagant trip, but the most important thing was, the siblings were together, and we spent time with our parents, spouses and kids. We had joy, we had fun, and the kids gave us a bit of a run.

Here is a photo of us on that trip, our first photo together since a long time ago.

Siblings 3
For the first time in years, we took out our family Christmas tree, and the kids helped to decorate it. We had our very own 'Secret Santa' gift exchange, and the kids received a lot of presents, and I mean A LOT.

Opening presents
Bro and I brought our kids to the SEA Aquarium and we had a great time 'swimming' with the fishes and eating ice cream.

We missed squabbling with each other, so we did a lot of that, and always in a tag team. Bro and me versus little sis, bro & sis versus me, sis & me versus bro. It's sibling fun that we have not had for a long time.

Time passes especially fast when you are having fun, and before we knew it, little brother had to go back to Australia. This is another photo of us at the airport.

Siblings 3
Littie sis will also be heading back to Australia soon to finish her studies.

We siblings three will once again be separated by the seas. I can't wait for the next time we are together again.

To me, this is what family means. It's about loved ones coming together, caring for and looking out for each other, no matter how far apart you may live. Distance does not change anything. And through this, my actions and my love for my own family, I hope that EV and AA will learn the importance of family and the need to look after each other. Even if one day, in the future, they may live miles apart from each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for reading and showing love to Toddly Mummy. I appreciate each and every one of your comments.

However, please refrain from posting promotional or rude messages.

Thank you for your understanding!