Friday, August 09, 2013

5 breastfeeding travel tips for a Big B 'record breaking' event

I can’t help but declare that I am extremely proud of myself. When it comes to breastfeeding, I mean. When it comes to breastfeeding, I’ve been there, done that, and still doing it. (Read about my earlier experiences here and here.)

Yups, still doing it. My dear son AA is now 18 months, and yes, he still look for me daily. My boobs actually. To him, ‘mummy’ means ‘boobs’ or ‘milk’, especially at night. My little son knows exactly what he wants. When I carry him and ask him what he wants, he immediately points to my boobs!

Boobs, my poor boobs! Ravaged, expanded, pinched, bitten. They only got a 10-month break after I weaned EV off, before AA came. But despite all this, I loved the experience, and still do. There’s a special, tender bond that I find hard to put into words, a special closeness that only a mummy and her child can share.

Even now, though I would like to wean AA off, part of me is not willing to. It is amazing how powerful this bond is. Often, when AA is wailing and no one can calm him down, he will quieten down the moment I carry him. Then when I bring him to my boobs, his transformation is just magical. He becomes an absolute angel, having found his source of comfort and security. And then he falls into a peaceful sleep. Sigh… peace at last.

Despite mishandled boobs, I’m a total advocate of breastfeeding, as you can tell by now. My journey has been quite uneventful. The major challenge was when we brought EV to Hong Kong to visit her great-grandmother in 2010, and then in 2012, after AA was born. We were there for our holidays, and there was of course all the touristy things to do, and the family get-togethers to attend. We were practically on the road from morning to night, so how did I manage to even breastfeed?

Here are some tips that you might find useful.

Invest in a good nursing cover
Then you can breastfeed almost anytime, anywhere. Almost. You become an instant milk machine. Well, figuratively speaking.

Prior to the trip, do some research and find out whether the places you are visiting have nursing rooms
Be prepared that some places may not have fully equipped with nursing rooms, maybe just a sink and a changing station, without a door. I encountered this in a shopping mall in Hong Kong. Out came the nursing cover. 

Be mentally prepared to breastfeed at the back of the tour bus
That's what I had to do with EV. We were on a day tour to the outlying islands off Hong Kong, and as we were on the road, I had no choice but to do that, with the help of the nursing cover of course. The hubby also helped by blocking any prying eyes.

Be adequately hydrated
Fluid intake will affect milk production, so make sure that there is lots of fluid intake.

Have fun!
Being relaxed is extremely important too, and helps to ensure that milk production is not adversely affected. 

Join the Big B Event
Are you a breastfeeding advocate too? Are you still breastfeeding your child?

Join the Big B Event, and help to set a new national record with the Singapore Book of Records for the most number of mums breastfeeding together.

This record-breaking event will be taking place on 31 August, Saturday, 1pm at the Singapore Expo Hall 6A.

The event also aims to raise awareness of the benefits of breastfeeding and importance of breastfeeding babies for the first 6 months.

Hurry! Sign up today and be part of this meaningful event! See you there!

BreastFeeding Ad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for reading and showing love to Toddly Mummy. I appreciate each and every one of your comments.

However, please refrain from posting promotional or rude messages.

Thank you for your understanding!