Thursday, July 05, 2012

Baker & Cook

I missed the days when I was in Australia, and I could sink my teeth into yummy and freshly baked bread, cakes and tarts every other day. So I was really delighted to check out this latest bakery joint that's located around Bukit Timah. Baker & Cook is the brainchild of New Zealander Dean Brettschneider, a highly respected baker who is also the author of ten baking books. He has also appeared in numerous TV shows in New Zealand, and has his own bakeries in Auckland (Zarbo) and Shanghai (Baker & Spice)

Despite the celebrity status of this baker, he has chosen to open his first bakery in Singapore at the homely residential area of Greenwood Avenue, in the corner of Hillcrest Road. It is a simple, down to earth joint that  makes one feel instantly at home, with floor to ceiling doors and windows that gives it a natural feel during the day, or a nice cosiness in the night. Seats are quite few, with only a rustic wooden table that sits about ten, a counter that sits two and looks out into the streets, as well as three tables outside that accommodates another ten patrons or so. Not a big establishment. But this charming neighbourhood bakery has charmed us with its friendly and breezy service that is oh-so-Kiwi, and the moment we stepped in, I knew this was a place I wanted to visit again. I was so captivated by the selection of cakes and tarts. There was a counter full of bread, pastries, tarts and cakes and another counter filled with quiche and salad. I wanted to try them all! It has been a long time since I've eaten really really good cakes and tarts, and somehow, I felt this place would have what I'm looking for.

Before I continue, I must confess: I enjoyed this decadent afternoon tea without EV. We, which included my younger sis, aunt and uncle shared Pecan Tart, Lemon Meringue Tart and Peach Danish. The Lemon Meringue Tart had just the right amount of tanginess, the Peach Danish was a little hard. My last experience with Pecan Tart was terrible - it was too sweet. But the one at Baker & Cook looked promising. And true enough, it was good. It was moist, yet the pecans were still crunchy. And it was just the right sweetness. Definitely my favourite of the three.


While others had coffee, I had Popcorn tea. Yup! That is the name of the tea, by a UK company called Tea Pigs. It is a refreshing tea that tasted like Japanese tea with roasted brown rice. 


I couldn't resist getting some tarts for takeaway. Besides the Pecan Tart, they also caught my eye the moment I entered - Blackberry Tart, Cherry Tart and Raspberry Muffin. The last one was bought specially for EV, and she devoured it (with help from mummy)!


I have to mention the homemade raspberry jam that was on the table for us to help ourselves. I had a taste of it and it was awesome! Too bad we didn't have any bread or bagels. It would have been great!

This bakery also serves all day dining too, and also sells their own brand range of jams, chutneys, biscotti, cookies and granola. I was so tempted to get some of these too, but had to stop myself and say, next time girl!

Would I be back again? Oh yeah!

Baker & Cook Artisan Bakery & Foodstore
77 Hillcrest Road
Singapore 288951
Tel: 6469 8834

Opening times:
Sunday to Thursday - 7am to 8pm
Friday and Saturday - 7am to 10pm

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing about this place! Haven't heard about it and I love sweets so love hearing about new places to try. Oh and how nice that you had some time off without EV :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for reading and showing love to Toddly Mummy. I appreciate each and every one of your comments.

However, please refrain from posting promotional or rude messages.

Thank you for your understanding!